Bills vs Chiefs: can Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs avoid a Super Bowl hangover?
The Buffalo Bills take on the Kansas City Chiefs tonight on NBC. Live coverage begins at 7 p.m. ET with Football Night in America. Sunday night’s game will also be available live on Peacock.
After winning the Lombardi Trophy in 2019 and then making a second consecutive Super Bowl appearance last year where they lost to the Buccaneers 31-9, Patrick muhammad and the Kansas City Chiefs are looking to become the fourth team to reach 3 consecutive Super Bowls. However, NFL history has shown us that getting rid of the “hangover” of a Super Bowl loss is an uphill battle. Only 8 teams made a repeat Super Bowl appearance the year after losing the big game. See below to find out which teams achieved these feats.
RELATED: Bills vs Chiefs -Josh Allen faces Patrick Mahomes in AFC Championship rematch this Sunday night
Teams with at least 3 consecutive Super Bowl appearances:
- Miami Dolphins (1971-1973) – Lost in ’71, won in ’72 and ’73.
- Buffalo Bills (1990 -1993) – Lost in ’90 -’93.
- New England Patriots (2016-2018) – Won in ’16 and ’18, lost in ’17.
Teams that returned to the Super Bowl the year after losing:
- 1970 + 1971 Dallas Cowboys (won SB VI in 1971 season)
- 1971 + 1972 Miami Dolphins (won SB VII in 1972 season, then repeated in SB VIII)
- 1973 + 1974 Minnesota Vikings (loses SB IX in 1974 season)
- 1986 + 1987 Denver Broncos (lost SB XXII in 1987 season)
- 1990-93 Buffalo Bills (loses four consecutive Super Bowl appearances)
- 2017-18 New England Patriots (won Super Bowl LIII in the 2018 season)
RELATED: After a few late losses, the Chiefs focused on patience, ending
- Or: Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, MO
- When: Sunday 10 October
- Start time: 8:20 p.m. ET kick-off; live coverage begins at 7 p.m. ET with Football Night In America
- TV channel: NBC
- Stream live: Watch live on Peacock or with the NBC Sports app
RELATED: 2021 NFL Schedule – Dates, Times, TV Channels For Each Game Over The 18 Weeks
Be sure to follow ProFootballTalk for the latest news, updates and more!