Vikings ready for Big Sky Road Trip, take on northern Colorado and Montana
PORTLAND – After a 4-2 victory in the opening game of the Conference, the Portland State women’s soccer team will be back in action this weekend when they face northern Colorado (1st October) and the University of Montana (October 3) on the road.
The Vikings will head to the road with an overall 3-5, 1-0 record in Big Sky action. Both Friday and Sunday matches will air on ESPN +.
PSU claimed its first Big Sky conference victory since the 2019 season on Sunday, beating Sacramento State 4-2 at home. The Vikings had a record-breaking 18 shots in the victory, putting eight of them on goal.
HOFFMAN HAT TOUR
- First-year student Abi Hoffmann put on a show against the Hornets, scoring three goals in the victory over Sacramento State (September 26)
- Hoffman was named Big Sky Offensive Player of the Week following her performance in Big Sky’s opener
- The Vikings have scored seven of their nine goals in the second half
- Three different Vikings have double-digit shots total coming in over the weekend (Chloe Huling, Raniyah burton, Abi Hoffmann)
- Hoffman leads Vikings with team-top 20 shots and 10 shots on goal
- Ani jensen is the only Viking to have a goal and an assist that year. The sophomore scored both a goal and an assist against Western Oregon (Aug. 27) before adding a second goal to her tally in the Vikings’ win over CSUN (Sept. 10).
- Sienna Higinbotham ranks third in the points column, entering the weekend with a pair of goals under his belt
SHE IS A GUARDIAN
- viking guardian Sidney o’billovich saw a limited number of minutes to start the season before securing his first career start in goal in San Francisco (Sept.12)
- The second-year transfer recorded nine career-high saves in his second start of the season against Oregon (September 19) and earned his first victory over Sacramento State (September 26).
- O’bilovich enters Friday with 25 saves and a save percentage of 0.748
LOTS OF LIZ
- Fifth-year senior defenseman Liz hansen ranks seventh all-time in career minutes played (5,729)
- She has completed 712 minutes of work, a team record this season, playing all 90 minutes in seven of eight matches.
SCOUTING OF NORTHERN COLORADO (FRIDAY, OCTOBER 1 – 6 p.m. PT)
The Bears are 4-6-2 in aggregate and 2-0-0 in conference action. They will enter Friday’s game after a pair of wins over Southern Utah (3-1) and Northern Arizona (2-0). UNC has scored 13 goals this season while allowing an average of 1.33 goals per game this season.
STORY OF THE SERIES
The Vikings lead the all-time series against the Bears 8-6-2. Due to a shortened 2021 spring season, the teams haven’t met since October 18, 2019, when the Vikings fell 1-3 on the road. Portland State is 0-2-1 against UNC with the head coach Katie Burton at the bar.
SCOUTING MONTANA (SUNDAY 3 OCTOBER – NOON PT)
Reigning Big Sky champion Montana Grizzlies enter Sunday with an overall record of 6-4. After beating northern Arizona (1-0) and southern Utah (1-0) last weekend, Montana is 2-0 in Big Sky action. UM will look to build on a five-game winning streak when it faces Sacramento State on Friday October 1 before hosting the Vikings.
STORY OF THE SERIES
The Vikings follow the 12-15-3 all-time streak. PSU fell to Montana in three straight road games, including two in the spring when the Grizzlies won two victories over the Vikings 2-1 and 3-0 in Missoula. The Vikings will seek their first loss against the Grizzlies since 2016.